Monday, October 27, 2014

Simulation Stimulation

Since I went to nursing school in the way-back-when, I had no experience with simulation.  Now, I believe, it's the standard in most nursing education programs.  There's actually some pretty good evidence out there to support its value in educating nurses, and other health care professionals.

This is SimMan 3G.  He sweats, breaths, turns blue, has pulses, can have seizures, opens and closes his eyes, his pupils react, etc.  Pretty amazing really.

A couple of days ago a nurse told me that she doesn't like simulation activities because the mannequins creep her out.  I kind of agree. I struggle to go in the simulation lab by myself, I'm afraid the mannequins are all going to start talking to me or something.  That nurses said it's a little too close to the idea of robots coming to life and taking over.

It does sort of seem like it's only a matter of time until they do.  

No comments:

Post a Comment