Friday, November 28, 2014

Another Rehab Thanksgiving

So much talk this year about how stores shouldn't open on Thanksgiving because their employees should get to celebrate the holiday.  Seems like there's been even more talk about it than last year.  Pledges on Facebook, stores advertising how wonderful they are for not opening on Thanksgiving, etc. 

When I was first confronted with this issue I was as indignant as those Facebook pledgers.  Of course they should get to be home with their families!  Then I thought about it a little.  Nurses have ALWAYS worked Thanksgiving.  So have firefighters, soldiers, paramedics, and everyone else who works in health care or defense...oh, and those in the hospitality industry, gas stations, state parks, public transportation, private transportation, airports, and even toll booths.  So why not retail? 


Anyway, as I looked back at last year's post on Thanksgiving, I realized that I was thankful last year for the people working at the rehab where my mother was recovering from a broken hip.  As (bad) luck would have it, she's recovering from a second broken hip this year.  So...thank you to the people at Gateway Vista Rehab for taking are of my mom yesterday.  Thank you also to my brothers and sister and their spouses and kids who took an entire Thanksgiving dinner over to the rehab and had dinner with her.  I love you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment