Thursday, December 5, 2013

A First For Me...





Let me start by saying this is NOT a political statement.  Please don't freak out.

When I came out of Target last Friday (yes, Black Friday, I admit that I went to Target at 6:00 a.m. - nobody there, by the way, had the place to myself) I looked at the car parked next to mine and saw this bumper sticker.  This was a first for me - I NEVER see nurses with political bumper stickers.  Apologies for the poor photo, people get weird when they see other people taking pictures of their cars so I was trying to be unobtrusive when taking it. 

Nurses have a long history of staying out of politics.  Did you know that even though nursing was a predominantly women's profession in the 1800's (that's an understatement, it was basically ALL a women's profession in the 1800's), nursing refused to get involved in pushing for the women's right to vote?  Yes, a few notable nurses spoke out, but as a group, nursing didn't even take an official stand on the issue.  Unbelievable!

I applaud this nurse for putting it out there, for taking a stand, for making it public - and not just too his/her Facebook friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment